It is both a legal requirement (General Assembly 2004) and our responsibility as Kids Friendly Churches to ensure the safety of our children and ourselves, as employed leaders or volunteers, in children’s ministry.
In December 2018 the Presbyterian Church of Aotearoa New Zealand published its Child Protection Policy. This policy forms the basis of our Safety Warrant of Fitness – the combined Kids Friendly and Presbyterian Youth Ministries training in legal requirements and good practice when working with children and young people.
Our Kids Friendly resource, Safety in Children’s Ministry (2018) gives you guidelines, strategies and some examples of policies to keep your children and leaders safe.
Download our latest Safety In Children's Ministry 2018 resource
1. Safety and protection legislation and procedure
2. Keys to Safe Practice:
• Following recommended appointment processes
• Developing and sharing safety and protection policies
• Educating leaders, congregation and families
3. Defining safety and developing policy:
• Physical Safety
• Psychological Safety
• Sexual Safety
4. Indicators of abuse and procedures for responding to suspected children abuse.
5. Sample safety and protection policy, code of ethics and code of conduct.
7. Police check policies and procedures. Download the latest police check forms.
To ensure the safety of our children under volunteer leaders, you may like to consider introducing a Volunteer Children’s Ministry Leaders Information Pack.
- Volunteer leader’s application form including a declaration of non-criminal conviction, and agreement to be police checked
- Code of conduct and code of ethics for volunteer leaders
- Sample Safety and Protection Policy (2015)
- Letter of contract and volunteer’s position description
- Lesson template for a Kids Friendly Sunday Children’s Programme
- Church and children’s programme vision, mission, values, aims
- PCANZ police checking procedures and current forms
We strongly encourage churches to police check their volunteer leaders.
Download the latest police check procedures and forms.