Lent and Easter Worship Together
Lent is a season full of symbols and rituals that lends itself to all-ages worshiping meaningfully together.
RESOURCES FOR SUNDAY WORSHIP TOGETHER
- The Uniting Church of South Australia website has many excellent all-age services.
- Engage Together – Intergenerational Worship Resources for Lent: This new and FREE resource from Beth Barnett in South Australia uses the Revised Common Lectionary and suggests practical and simple ideas for intergenerational participation. There are ideas for the Welcome, Call to Worship, Prayer of Confession, Music and Bible Reading. The resource is clearly set out with ideas for each week highlighted by ‘Say’ ‘Prepare’ ‘Do’ symbols. Download Engage Together
- Sharing the Easter Faith with children
A wonderful great book from Carol Brown with worship service plans, children’s Easter literature recommendations and more. See also lots of helpful stuff on engaging and involving children in Lent and Easter worship on her blog Worshiping with Children
Most congregations work hard to include children in Advent and Christmas celebrations. Lent and Easter are another story. Often the children are not expected at and not even wanted at these worship services. The hope is that they will hear the stories in church school or at home and join the congregation celebrating the stories when they are older and understand them more fully. I think that is a mistake. The Lent-Easter stories are the key stories of our faith and the worship services of Lent, Holy Week and Easter are our high Holy Days. Children need to be part of them with the entire congregation.
- Spill the Beans curriculum from the Church of Scotland offers this great resources of all-age worship ideas and activities for Lent.
RESOURCES FOR INTERGENERATIONAL WORSHIP EVENTS
- An Easter Journey for Families:HILLTOP FAMILY CHURCH a monthly all age Sunday evening church and dinner at Flagstaff Community Church in Dunedin shares their interactive walk-through Easter story with 5 stations from Palm Sunday to resurrection. Download An Easter Journey for Families
- An Easter Journey with our Community: Clutha Valley Presbyterian planned an “Easter journey” for their ever increasing number of mainly music and other community friends. Their Easter Journey was inspired by an easy-to-use, affordable, downloadable resource from the Barnabas in Church website.
“We have been serving the children and families of our community and strengthening relationships for 7 years through our mainly music ministry and decided it was time to courageously invite these friends to experience more of our faith story,” says Pam Hunter, mainly music leader and elder of the church.